[OS X TeX] Missing /Library/TeX/Distributions/TeXDist2-description.rtf (was: Announce: MacTeX-2014 is available for download)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jun 23 20:38:30 CEST 2014

On Jun 23, 2014, at 1:29 PM, Martin Wilhelm Leidig <listwatch at moss.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> Today I installed MacTeX-2014 over the pretest Installation, all fine by now.  I just saw one flaw in the help system:
>
> Am 2014-06-18 um 13:55 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>>
>> Assuming you have Mavericks, does the installed version of the Preference Pane have and extra button labelled texdistmgr?
>
> That applies all to my newer machine (MacBook Pro late-2013, 10.9.3, TeX Distribution PrefPane V 250).
>
> When I click on the round Help button above the texdistmgr button I get the «Distributions» help window, so, being an »advanced TeX user« I click on «The texdist tool and the TeXDist2 design» and further on «See the official documentation: TeXDist2-description».  Then I get an alert saying «The document cannot be opened».
>
> That last link contains  <help:runscript=../scpt/OpnDocument.scpt%20string='/Library/TeX/Distributions/TeXDist2-description.rtf'> -- but there is no /Library/TeX/Distributions/TeXDist2-description.rtf, there is just TeXDist-description.rtf.
>
> Sorry having this found just after the release.
>

> Regards from Ladenburg,
>
> -MWL-

Howdy,

Under Mavericks there is a new version of the TeX Distribution Preference Pane since the old version didn't work with that OS version. Unfortunately the documentation for that version and what has changed is incomplete. WE have no idea when that documentation will be ready since the person who created the new Preference Pane has been involved with several other projects that are taking his time.

As far as I have been able to determine the .texdist bundles used for each supported TeX Distribution haven't had any internal change. The only difference I see in the structure is that there is an additional level of symbolic linking /usr/texbin to point to the active TeX binaries.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)