[OS X TeX] Macro(s) for using Excalibur with TeXShop?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 15 00:48:02 CEST 2014

On Jul 14, 2014, at 5:40 PM, Michael Sharpe <msharpe at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> Just tried it using `save` instead of `close` and it all seems to work just fine! The insertion point disappears but the location in the file
>
> It does indeed, though I am a bit queasy about having a document open in two programs at the same time. If you make changes using Excalibur, that will  overwrite anything that TeXShop has modified since you started the Excalibur session. One would have to be a bit demented of course to do such a thing. I don't know if there's any way using a macro to warn the user if they try to modify a file that's being edited by Excalibur.
>
> Michael

Howdy,

But the document is first Saved by TeXShop so any changes will be to the last TeXShop changes. I guess you might go back to TeXShop and change the file while it's open in Excalibur. I wonder if Excalibur would pick up the changes; possibly not. But that would be sort of unusual and you could do that even if TeXShop was closed.

By the way, since the updates happen automatically when you save the file in Excalibur there isn't even the need to have the

open -a TeXShop "$1"

line.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)