[OS X TeX] TeX Live Utility update failure: allegedly missing lthtlw.enc

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jul 9 22:03:20 CEST 2014

On Jul 9, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's meant by an "authenticating editor"? And why won't my version of BBEdit, purchased from the apple App Store, not suffice for such an edit?

Howdy,

An ``authenticating editor'' is one which allows you (after giving your admin password) to edit and save files owned by root (e.g., updmaps.cfg). Because all applications sold via the App Store must be sandboxed (i.e., they essentially have very little access to low level processes) they aren't able to allow authentication.

But I wonder of BareBones has something on their site that can help there. Not sure about that.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)