[OS X TeX] Synchronization

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 10 23:51:31 CET 2014

On Jan 10, 2014, at 4:18 PM, Douglas McKenna <doug at mathemaesthetics.com> wrote:

> Herb Schultz wrote -
>
>> I would expect it all to
>> work fine after one typeset since (xe/pdf)latexmk will rerun (xe/pdf)latex the
>> necessary number of times to resolve the cross-references in one typeset run.
>
> What is the condition after a TeX/LaTeX run that informs the world that
> a typeset run needs to occur a subsequent time to resolve cross-refs?
>
> Doug McKenna

Howdy,

Latexmk (the perl program used by the (xe/pdf)latexmk engines for TeXShop) use information from the .log file, the .aux file as well as a file that it creates to determine which file(s) changed after a (xe/pdf)latex run. Take a look at a .log file and you'll see mention of cross-references that haven't been resolved, etc.

If, e.g., you use pdflatex in TeXShop to compile a file that has cross-references, bibliographic references and/or an index try placing the line

% !TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk

at the top of the .tex file and then simply typeset the file using Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T). The pdflatexmk engine is already active with recent versions of TeXShop; if the above doesn't work let me know and I"ll help you activate the engine. PS: You can tell if the pdflatexmk engine is active by Clicking the engine popup menu on the source document Toolbar; NOT the Typeset Menu.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)