[OS X TeX] Copying directories

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 10 16:36:12 CET 2014

On Jan 10, 2014, at 9:21 AM, André Bellaïche <abellaic at math.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Suppose I want to add a new font to my TeX system. The font may be Cabin and the system may be TeXLIve 2010 (I prefer not to update it for the moment).
>
> The README says: “To install this package on a TDS-compliant TeX system unzip the file
> tex-archive/install/fonts/cabin.tds.zip at the root of an appropriate
> texmf tree, likely a personal or local tree.”
>
> TeXLive on a Mac doesn't seem to be TDS-compliant (whatever this may means), since when I download the zip fie it unzips by itself into a Mac directory called “cabin”. So I am left with the task of copying a tree into a tree.

Howdy,

TeX Live on the Mac is absolutely TDS-compliant. It sounds like the font is being distributed with a non-compliant directory structure!

> The first tree is
>
> cabin
> ---- doc
> ---- latex
> ---- map
> ---- opentype
> ---- type1
> ---- files such as README and samples
>
> The second tree is
>
> texmf-local
> ---- bibtex
> ---- doc
> ---- dvips
> ---- fonts
> ---- metapost
> ---- tex
> ---- tpm
> ---- web2c

Are there sub-directories within cabin's doc, latex, map, etc., directories or do they directly contain files? Depending upon what the sub-directory structure actually is you would need different information for placing the files in the texmf-local tree.

In any case I would place the FILES that you find in the latex directory (or sub-directory) in .../texmf-local/tex/latex/cabin (create that cabin directory). Similarly, the FILES under the map directory go into .../texm-local/fonts/map/dvips/cabin (ditto with the cabin sub-directory).

But please give a complete tree as supplied with the cabin font.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)