[OS X TeX] stix fonts?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jan 5 19:15:12 CET 2014

On Jan 5, 2014, at 11:58 AM, David Derbes <loki at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Hi, Herb.
>
> I'm very slow to update, and am still running 10.6.8, and I think TeXLive 2009.
>
> Does the newest version of TeXLive require a more recent version of OS X? And how does one invoke the STIX fonts?
>
> I've been following development of the STIX fonts for many, many years. They don't look any better to me than what I've got now, but I'm curious nonetheless.
>
> Thanks!
>
> David Derbes
> U of Chicago Lab Schools

Howdy,

MacTeX 2013 supports OS X 10.5 and later so you can install it on your system.

I haven't used them yet but it seems that there is a stix package so invoking \usepackage{stix} should do the job although I have no idea what the options are. I'd also suggest using \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}.

PS: If you install TeX Live 2013 (via the MacTeX package) make sure to remove any package updates you may have installed in your personal texmf tree (starting at ~/Library/texmf) and/or the texmf-local tree (starting at /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local). If you have any extra fonts in either of those trees please read TeXLive2012+Changes.pdf (available zipped from <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10932738/index.html>) for information on the best way to install them under TL 2013; feel free to ask for more information.

PPS: after installing TeX Live 2013 please run TeX Live Utility (or tlmgr if you really like to use Terminal) and update TL 2013 to the latest versions of packages, etc.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)