[OS X TeX] ``bruising'' (but not ``cutting'') edge TeX

J. McKenzie Alexander jalex at lse.ac.uk
Tue Feb 25 22:18:12 CET 2014

Hello,

As someone who hasn’t kept up with the current state of TeX/LaTeX development, I would really appreciate some tips concerning the “mostly stable” production frontier, from a casual end-user perspective. Simply because I would like to know what the current state of art is. With TeX/LaTeX, it’s a bit hard to gauge, if you are on the outside.

As a point of reference: how many people are using LuaTeX or LuaLaTeX? Are the LaTeX3 files anywhere near a point where the rest of us should pay attention to them when writing macros (i.e., is it worth the pain of learning a new system)? And should I consider learning ConTeXt rather than LaTeX? (Is there any point?)

Many thanks!

Jason