[OS X TeX] \documentclass maximum font size

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 01:56:58 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Peter Teeson <peter.teeson at icloud.com>wrote:

> Please be patient with my newbie-ness.
> In TNSS it states that there are 3 point sizes for \documentclass namely
> 10pt (default), 11pt and 12pt.
> However I need to use at least 14pt (at my age even that is a bit of a
> struggle even with specs).
> My article is for my own use right now - it probably won't interest many
> others.
>
> TNSS explains that I can enclose the text in {\Large .......}. But is this
> appropriate for an entire article?
> It would be more logical (IMHO) to allow a larger base font size in
> \documentclass.
>
> Is this reasonable and available? Or did I miss something?
>
> respect

Most of documentclasses indeed have 10, 11 and 12pt

However document class memoir allows 9pt, 10pt, 11pt, 12pt, 14pt, 17pt

\documentclass[14pt]{memoir}

 and with option

\documentclass[14pt, extrafontsizes]{memoir}
--

adds 20pt, 25pt,30pt, 36pt, 48 pt and even 60pt

memoir is a great document class, very flexible, with excellent
documentation,  and its current Lars Madsen is very helpful.

I may add that I am using it for all my needs--from student tests to
articles and books--except presentations

HTH

Victor Ivrii