[OS X TeX] Wish for TeXShop : attach custom icon to a given file

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Feb 23 16:27:03 CET 2014

On Feb 23, 2014, at 9:15 AM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2014, at 9:42 AM, seroul wrote:
>
>> LaTeX uses a lot of files.
>>
>> Some of them are important (.tex, .sty, .cls, etc.) and others are discardable (.aux, etc.).
>>
>> It would be more easier to discriminate visually these files
>> if TeXShop has the possibility to attach an given icon to a
>> given file when saving it.
>
> As for me, I would very much like them to be distinguished by the absence of the Typeset button. (Yes, it is not fatal accidentally to hit the Typeset button on these files but, when distracted, it can be ... disorienting.)
>
> In fact, at the risk of "bloating" TeXShop, it would be very nice to be able to chose between a Typeset button and a Save button on any given .tex file. (Trying to typeset one of the hundreds of files in my "QuestionBase" on its own is of course not fatal but, when distracted, it can be ... disorienting.)
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

Are you, for example, talking about editing a .sty file and pressing Typeset button on the Toolbar by mistake? Here's a simple solution... remove the Typeset button from the Toolbar! Get into the habit of using keyboard shortcut for typesetting the document ;e.g., Cmd-T for general typesetting set by the TS-program line, Shift-Cmd-L to for LaTeX typesetting. :-) Right-Click (Ctl-Click) on an empty area in the Toolbar, choose Customize Toolbar…, drag the Typeset button off the Toolbar and Save.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)