[OS X TeX] updmap.cfg and TeX Live Manager Notice

Ralph Martin Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Feb 18 17:39:33 CET 2014

Hi Herb

thanks for taking the time to reply.

On 18 Feb 2014, at 4:03:18pm, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
> I assume you have personal fonts in your personal texmf tree (root at ~/Library/texmf) and therefore you have an updmap.cfg there to install the map files when `updmap` is run.

No, I put all stuff for the fonts in subdirs of /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local and then ran sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map=whatever

(Oh. I just realised I also have stuff in ~/Library/texmf - not good).

> When there are font updates installed by tlmgr, via TeX Live Utility (TLU), it automatically runs `updmap-sys` which ignores any fonts in your personal tree, and therefore any updmap.cfg file in your personal tree, and installs system-wide map files. I assume that is what youa re seeing.

It seems to be doing the opposite, and ignoring stuff  in the /usr/local/texlive tree

> However, the map file installed using `updmap`, which includes your personal fonts as well as the system-wide fonts, overrides the system-wide map file and it doesn't get updated when new fonts are installed by tlmgr, via TLU, by default.
>
> To have TLU run `updmap` and update your personal map file to pick up any changes at the system-wide level, you should check `Automatically enable fonts in my home directory' in TeX Live Utility->Preferences.

That's not checked, and I don't want the fonts in there...

Best wishes

Ralph
--
Prof. Ralph Martin                     Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
Computer Science & Informatics         Fax:   +44(0)29 2087 4598
Cardiff University               Email: mailto:ralph at cs.cf.ac.uk
5 The Parade, Roath              WWW:  http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/
Cardiff, CF24 3AA, UK         VOIP: sip:ralphmartin at sip2sip.info