[OS X TeX] preview on TS

Gary L. Gray euler at psu.edu
Tue Dec 30 19:35:50 CET 2014

> On Dec 30, 2014, at 11:41 AM, George Gratzer <gratzer at me.com> wrote:
>
> May I suggest that today, with fast computers, it does not seem to make much sense to split the source file up into small chunks (chapters). All my recent books have only one source file, I no longer use \includonly etc.
>
> You may want to try this, if appropriate.

If you have, like me, a textbook that is 800 pages with thousands of figures, breaking up the manuscript into sections or chapters and having the ability to typeset a small subset of the manuscript is essential. On a top-of-the-line 2012 MacBook Pro with an SSD, it takes 64 seconds to typeset the entire thing. It takes a couple of seconds to typeset an individual section from a chapter.

Gary