[OS X TeX] texpower

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Tue Dec 2 22:58:35 CET 2014

Hi again,

On 03/12/2014, at 7:44 AM, Ross Moore wrote:

> No. It is an  {array}  inside  $...$  which is quite legal.

However, you are trying to use  \pause  in the middle of this array.
Thus  \pause  may need to know how to:
  1.  close the cell
  2.  close the line of the array
  3.  close the array
  4.  close the  \left\{ ... \right.  structure
  5.  close the math
  6.  close the \enumsentence
etc.
to keep everything balanced.
This is a very tall order, which just doesn't work.

Of course it doesn't actually work that way, but you see how
complicated a setup you have here.

Now by inserting   \tracingall  immediately before  \pause
we see that  texpower's  \pause  ends up doing  \unvcopy
within math-mode.
This is wrong, and leads to the error messages that were logged.

In short, you cannot use  \pause  in math-mode, with  texpower .

> However, this is all inside another high-level structure  \enumsentence  or some such, which I'm not familiar with.
>

>> If I remember correctly, texpower can call either the standard seminar class, or powersem.cls.  Anyway, I agree with Herb,  using beamer is worth a shot, even with this short time available. The tutorial will get you started, just run
>>
>>   texdoc beamer
>>
>> at the terminal prompt.
>
> Sure, Beamer is really good, but also very complicated.
> When you are already familiar with other packages, and are short of time, it is not the way that I would go.
>
> This specific problem could just be the result of mixing too many highlevel constructions, without a proper understanding of how they use TeX's math-mode.

I've had plenty of experience with \pause  and  \onslide
inside table cells and math-arrays when using  Beamer.

So now I concur with the others; Beamer is indeed the best way to go.
(At least now we know why!)

Good luck.

> Also, I'm a bit concerned about using Tikz with texpower.
> Tikz's use of pgf graphics may be conflicting with texpower's need to adjust PDF output.
> (This could be a valid reason to switch to Beamer.)
> Have you had prior success with this combination?

This aspect does not seem to be relevant to the immediate problem.

Hope this helps,

    Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mathematics Department                           office: E7A-206