[OS X TeX] Command completion troubles

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Wed Aug 27 21:14:26 CEST 2014

Hi Herb,

Thank you for your extensive response. Some of it I already understood but, for me, it was a useful read.  However, I’m removing most of it to get to the crux.

On 25Aug2014, at 2:35 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

<<snip>>

I’m using
>> TeXShop 3.39 and the OS is Mavericks 10.9.4
>>
>> and fairly recently (two weeks ago??) installed MacTeX 2014 and even ran the TeXLive utility thing thereafter. As usual TeXShop is beautiful, but it would be nice to regain that command completion stuff.

<<snip>>
> Howdy,
>
> There are three features of TeXShop which often get mixed up with each other: Key Bindings (at one

<<large snip>>

> I hope this straightens things out a bit.

A bit? Yes, it does. :-)

> Finally, you say ``-4- Opened an existing  small .tex file and attempted to invoke the various examples in Herb’s PDF. None of them worked!'' so I'd like to know exactly what you did and what your trigger is set to be.

See below.

> Also, it's bad practice to (re)move anything from ~/Library/TeXShop while TeXShop is active (that's true for any application); first shut TeXShop down and then (re)move the folder/etc.

Sounds  like good advice. Thanks!

With respect to my settings. Checking «Source -> Key Bindings -> Toggle On/Off» I see that the
«Toggle On/Off» part is checkmarked.

Looking in «TeXShop -> Preferences -> Source -> Command Completion Triggered By:» I find that «Escape Key» is active.

The two settings above have been that way forever, a long time!!, I think.

With respect to command completion: Relative your example \sec. In a source file which is active and performing well, I type

\sec

with a blank line above, as shown, then press the `Trigger’, which is the ESC key, and nothing happens. The behaviour used to be as you described. I get the same `no action’ response with

\benu  «press trigger»

So somewhere, somehow I must have disabled command completion, but where would that have been done?

Thanks for your always helpful advice.

don green dragon
fergdc at shaw.ca