[OS X TeX] tex live utility no longer working

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Aug 14 19:06:06 CEST 2014

On Aug 14, 2014, at 11:35 AM, juan tolosa <juantolo at me.com> wrote:

> Thank you Herb, I did that, and TeX Live is working again.
>
> I thought that by performing all suggested upgrades to Mac TeX I was up to date
> (before re-installing, in the "About TeXShop" tab, it said I had version 3.39).
> Maybe I have to download the newest MacTeX.pkg every time there is an upgrade,
> to avoid these problems in the future?
>
> Juan

Howdy,

There are two things going on. The MacTeX.pkg installs a full TeX Live 2014 as well as setting things up so GUI software and Terminal can easily use that distribution. It also installs Ghostscript which is used by several pieces of software supplied by TeX Live and the TeX Distribution System Preference Pane which allows you to switch between installed TeX Distributions. Finally is installs several GUI applications, such as TeXShop.

If you upgrade TeXShop itself, e.g., going to 3.39 from a previous version ONLY that GUI application gets updated. Remember that TeXShop depends upon having a TeX Distribution but it doesn't install one by itself.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)