[OS X TeX] typing em dash (---)

Michael Welsh yomcat at yomcat.geek.nz
Mon Sep 16 07:35:17 CEST 2013

On 16/09/2013, at 3:53 PM, Nicolae Garleanu <garleanu at haas.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> My question is how I can ensure I get the long dash in the output. The simplest, for me, would be if I could change some setting so that the editor leaves the three - alone. I know that I can use the tex command \textemdash, which I can presumably bind to some key, but do I need to do that?

Here are two of the places that could be mucking this up:

1. In System Prefs --> Language & Text --> Text, there is a check box (Use symbol and text substitution) with some replacements in a table below it. The --- to — change isn't there for me, but try turning that off.

2. There's key bindings in TeXShop. Have a look at the file (Source --> Key Bindings --> Edit Key Bindings File...) and see if the --- to — change is there (the reverse is for me). To turn them all off, click the Toggle On/Off item in the same menu (a tick next to it means that it's on).

Michael