[OS X TeX] most recommendable encoding

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Oct 29 14:18:26 CET 2013

On Oct 29, 2013, at 3:52 AM, RA Friedrich Vosberg <fv at meinrechtsanwalt.com> wrote:

> Morning.
>
> Which input encoding is today at OSX 10.9 most recommendable?
>
> I, for a dogs age, use \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}. But, may be, this is only a vestige form using LaTeX under MacOS 8.x and earlier.
>
> Or is this encoding still up to date?
>
> Kind regards, Friedrich

Howdy,

applemac encoding is still up to date in the sense that it is well defined.

I know that I've moved over to UTF-8 Unicode although support in pdf(la)tex is far from complete. For the kinds of things I usually do I can enter accented characters directly without a problem. When I rarely need the extended language abilities supplied by Unicode I switch over to xe(la)tex (or even lua(la)tex) which uses UTF-8 Unicode natively.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)