[OS X TeX] Where is the compiler for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 ?

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Thu Nov 21 20:32:37 CET 2013

Hello Misty,

On 20Nov2013, at 8:52 PM, Misty De Meo wrote:

> H, Don,
>
> Xcode 3.2.6 is the latest version compatible with Snow Leopard, and
> it's still available from Apple's site for free. You can get it from
> developer.apple.com/downloads (free Apple ID required).
>
> Misty
>
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> <<snip>>

Thank you for the information above. However, the download

Xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK 4.3 for Snow Leopard  -- Apr 21, 2011

is a 4.14 GB download and all I wanted was the gcc compiler and associated files. So after stumbling around via Google, I came across

https://github.com/kennethreitz/osx-gcc-installer

and, at that site, as one scans down the page, there appears

-----------------
Option 1: Downloading Pre-Built Binaries
You can download the installers on the Downloads page or use the links below:

	• OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: GCC-10.7.pkg (Includes 10.7 Headers, so use with caution).
	• OS X 10.7 Lion: GCC-10.7.pkg
	• OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: GCC-10.6.pkg

The strings GCC-10.7.pkg and GCC-10.7.pkg and GCC-10.6.pkg are actually links to some Apple developers site. I choose GCC-10.6.pkg because I'm still with Snow Leopard, and after registering, the download commenced immediately.

GCC-10.6.pkg downloads as a 180 MB file and, upon opening, an installer pops up and puts a gcc compiler in /usr/bin/ and whatever additional files are needed. So far it works perfectly although the installer claimed it needed over 500 MB, but, for me, that is preferable to 4.14 GB.

The above may be of interest to persons who want to have a C compiler around but don't want a full developer's kit.

Thanks again. This is one wonderful mailing list.  :-)

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca