[OS X TeX] Malayalam with xelatex new

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Nov 13 18:40:16 CET 2013

This is certainly better discussed on the XeTeX list: xetex at tug.org

> The problems:
>
> The following are not rendered properly (only boxes)

I do not see any boxes… (Except I use Adobe Reader.)

> a) Numbers

I cannot detect any numbers, the script is unknown to me. I think it could be possible to add under the text block a little table with English text introducing the row and then one row with Malayalam digits and numbers and another one with the Arabic digits and numbers as used with Latin script. (Such a table could be extended with footnotes describing deficiencies. And it could be used for tests with a few more fonts.)

> b) puctuation marks

I don't see any…

> c) dashes (where the word is broken at the end of line)

They are possibly missing in two places… I can see gaps. Maybe this is a bug in Polyglossia, which is hyphenating the words.

I can see that Rachana (Version 05; Revision:0.100) has Latin punctuation (U+002C-U+002E, i.e., {,-.}). The final "." in the text seems to be translated to U+10FC0D-U+10FC1D-U+FFFF, one instance of ',"' to U+10FC0A-U+FFFF-U+FFFF and a COMMA to U+FFFF.

Obviously XeTeX still has problems with Indic scripts. These should be discussed on the the XeTeX list.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Vielfalt im Regal statt Einfalt im Hirn!