[OS X TeX] Mavericks

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Nov 6 19:33:38 CET 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Michael Sharpe <msharpe at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 9:56 AM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> I’ve subsequently discovered from Apple Support Communities that a lot of people are complaining about the initially-slow finder problem, but maybe not everybody. I wonder if the caching that needs to be done for the finder used to be done automatically at startup, but someone decided to eliminate that for faster startup times. I also found out that there is a more severe problem on those machines that have “Google Drive” installed which apparently is causing instability and crashes in the finder. For that, the only workaround is removing Google Drive.
>>

> There is a less drastic solution that worked for me under Mavericks. In the Google Drive preferences, uncheck the preference 'Show file sync status and right click menu'.
>
> Michael

Howdy,

I wonder if all of this is what's giving rise to a minor but annoying, to me at least, problem I have with login applications that just show on the menu bar upon boot (e.g., DropBox, Meteorologist, Little Snitch Network Monitor). Pre-Mavericks they would always load in the same order, e.g., the icons would show up in a specific order, which I could manipulate by changing the order in which they were loaded. Under Mavericks they load in a random order which is a bit annoying. I've even removed DropBox from my Login Items list and loaded it much later and the position it takes on the menu bar is still random.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)