[OS X TeX] synching in TS 3.18

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu May 30 03:45:44 CEST 2013

On May 29, 2013, at 4:41 PM, "Nitecki, Zbigniew H." <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:

> I just downloaded TS 3.18 and am having some trouble synching (sometimes).
> I checked the info on the website that indicates what should appear in TexShop Preferences.
> The default button gave me what is expected in three of the windows, in the fourth is
> simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extratexopts "-file-line-error -synctex=1"
>
> Synching works fine on a file I am currently using, but when I went back to a larger, older project (ongoing) for which I have the pdf file and the "master" source file opened, but the individual source files for sections are not, I got no reaction (I expected to get a locked source file--I haven't learned how to turn off the automatic locking--but at least I would know whit the relevant source file for that section is called).

Howdy,

Without the synctex.gz file I'm not sure how TeXShop can figure out to which file in the project the particular text in the pdf file you Cmd-click on belongs. Of course I may be thinking of this incorrectly. Now that Search syncing is gone even with a single document pdf->tex syncing will not work without a synctex.gz file present.

> In the past I have not had a problem with accessing these source files via synching from the pdf even if they are not currently opened.

But the synctex.gz file must have been present? As I said above I'm not sure I understand how it can be done. But maybe I'm just not seeing how that can happen.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)