[OS X TeX] ein Apfel ein Tag

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Tue May 28 16:30:39 CEST 2013

Folks,

On May 25, 2013, at 11:41 AM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at icloud.com> wrote:

> I was going through the material in Applications/TeX and found this example in file LuaTeX.tex
>
> \begin{center}
> \fontspec{Arial Unicode MS}
> ein Apfel ein Tag hält den Doktor weg\\
> ένα μήλο ημερησίως κρατά το γιατρό μακριά\\
> яблоко день держит доктора отсутствующе
> \end{center}
>
> While the Greek example is a correct literal (google?) translation of "an apple a day keeps the doctor away", it is in a stiff language ("an apple daily  holds the doctor afar") that would likely give away a person as a foreigner. As it happens, there is a  version of this saying in colloquial Greek that rhymes and goes
>
> "ένα μήλο την ημέρα τον γιατρό τον κάνει πέρα"
>
> If you say this in Greece, you will seamlessly blend with the locals.  So please navigate to that file and make the correction :)
>
> Themis

This discussion reminds me of a book review by Andre Weil of a biography of
Fermat. Weil criticizes the author's historical accuracy, his writing style, his
discussion of mathematics. Then he criticizes his translation of French sources
and finally his translation of Latin sources.

…what a high class mailing list

It is the last possible day to modify the above source document for MacTeX-2013.
It seems the German and Greek should be

	"Ein Apfel am Tag den Doktor erspart."
	"ένα μήλο την ημέρα τον γιατρό τον κάνει πέρα"

Could someone improve the Russian? I enjoyed the joke Volodya Shavrukov made
out of the discussion.

Dick Koch