[OS X TeX] scaling .eps figures

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Mar 11 14:40:11 CET 2013

On Mar 11, 2013, at 8:32 AM, Bridget Kane <kaneb at tcd.ie> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm hoping someone can help / advise me please.  I'm having trouble with .eps figures. Using package graphics, I normally use the following method to insert images into document.
>
> \begin{figure}[htbp]
> \caption{CAPTION}
> \begin{center}
> \includegraphics[width=.5\linewidth]{image.eps}
> \label{fig:namefile}
> \end{center}
> \end{figure}
>
> I can usually adjust the size of the image with the option
> width =\linewidth
> or
> [scale=.5]

Howdy,

How are you trying to compile the image? What version of MacTeX (i.e., TeX Live) are you using? Can you give us a minimal but complete version of a file that shows this behavior? Are you really using the graphics package rather than the graphicx package?

> But when I try now I'm getting an error and cannot compile it.  When I comment out the option, it works fine.
>
> This used to work for me - I can't recall making any changes.
>
> I also tried downloading a new version of Texshop - but that is causing me other problems. (I'm trying to open other older .tex files and the error message comes up "shit happens" when I try to open preferences)
>
> Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I'm using Mac OSX 10.7.5
>

> kind regards
>
> Bridget

TeXShop most definitely doesn't have an error message as nasty as that one. Are you using a  non-English localization? What version of TeXShop are you trying to use?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)