[OS X TeX] TeX performance: SSD vs ATA on MacBook Pro

Chris Lott chris at chrislott.org
Fri Jul 26 01:35:51 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:
> (I'm not sure how good SSDs are; their memory cells are wearing out, they are guaranteed for a few thousand or ten thousand erase and write cycles, much less than the surfaces of a rotating platter.

Perhaps of interest: http://ef.gy/statistics:ssd-write-endurance

I and my team have pretty heavily used SSD in MacBooks since they
appeared. No failures yet. Purely anecdotal, YMMV, etc. I don't think
it's arguable that traditional drives have a longer lifespan, but the
question is whether it practically applies given your use and
replacement time(s)...

Chris Lott <chris at chrislott.org>