[OS X TeX] AMS-TeX symbols in plaintex

Daniel Drucker drucker at math.wayne.edu
Sun Jul 21 23:44:28 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have been reading this list since February 2009, but this is the first message I've
submitted.

I am a long-time user of the now-defunct Textures software from Blue Sky Research.
Textures still works on my 27" iMac running OS 10.8.4, but as it is no longer in
development I am gradually migrating to TeXShop.

Unlike most people on this list, I prefer plaintex to LaTeX, though I've used LaTeX
too. Typically I enlarge the symbol set by starting each of my Textures plaintex
documents with the commands

\input AMSsym.def
\input AMSsym.tex

which enable me to use the AMS symbol fonts without using AMS-TeX. The two
files called with the input statements are dated Dec. 22, 1994 and come from the
American Mathematical Society. They were supplied with Textures in a TeX Inputs
folder.

Is there a similar set of files that I can use to import the AMS symbols into TeXShop
plaintex documents? That would enable me to typeset all my Textures documents
in TeXShop without losing the AMS symbols. It would also make it easier for me
to incorporate AMS-TeX symbols into new TeXShop documents.

Perhaps it is even possible to use the same two files with TeXShop, but if so, I
need to know where to put the files so that TeXShop will find them and use them.
I also wonder whether there is a more recent version of those two files.

I'll appreciate any help you can offer.

Best regards,
Dan Drucker