[OS X TeX] Latexmk errors that I can't diagnose

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jul 7 18:47:38 CEST 2013

On Jul 7, 2013, at 11:29 AM, "Nathan A. Paxton" <napaxton at gmail.com> wrote:

> 	Hi all,
>
> 	I'm trying to diagnose a pdflatexmk error.
>
> 	I'm using Texshop 3.18 on Lion (10.7.5), with latexmk 4.35 and the latest engines from Herbert Schulz (4.37, I think), pn TL 2012.  In the last couple of days, when I try to compile a syllabus with a bunch of references, the file no longer compiles, and it generates the following errors.
>
> - Could this be the result of using latexmk4.35 and the engines for 4.37? How can I update latexmk (without going to 2013, which I'm not ready to do quite yet) or downgrade the Schulz engines?
> - What else do we need to know to make this work?
>

> Latexmk: Non-existent bbl file 'syllabus.bbl'
>  No file syllabus.bbl.
> Latexmk: Citation 'collier2007a' on page 4 undefined
> Latexmk: Citation 'frieden2006a' on page 4 undefined
>
> [snip 34 more similar errors]
>
> Latexmk: Citation 'chang2011a' on page 9 undefined
> Latexmk: Log file says output to 'syllabus.pdf'
> Latexmk: Found biber source file(s) [syllabus.bcf]
> Latexmk: Summary of warnings:
>   Latex failed to resolve 36 citation(s)
> Collected error summary (may duplicate other messages):
>   biber syllabus: Could not find all biber source files for 'syllabus'
> Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing,
>  unless error was exceeding maximum runs of latex/pdflatex.
> -----
> Nathan Paxton
> napaxton at gmail.com
>
> (I can) Stand up for hope, faith, love
> But while I'm getting over certainty
> Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady.
> 	—U2

Howdy,

First (minor) question: why are you using the 4.37 engines with 4.35? If you downloaded the Latexmk4.37TeXShop.zip there was another folder with a tslatexmk folder containing the update to latexmk 4.37. In any case those engines should work fine with 4.35.

Could you try to clean up all the files from the previous run. Is there, in fact a syllabus.bbl file present? Does the Console show that biber has been run?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)