[OS X TeX] Two missing characters

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jan 22 00:57:27 CET 2013

On Jan 21, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at Shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The following has been puzzling me for a long time. There are two characters that I am unable get TeXShop/TeX to produce correctly on a preview page. They are
>
> straight single quote '
> straight double quote "
>
> Above they have been created using the program Mail.app on OS X. The keyboard setting is specified as "Canadian English" and Mail.app is sending this message as a RTF file.
>
> If I open the "Character Viewer" and if the 'Punctuation' tab is active, the characters ' and " are easily inserted into this message. It is not necessary (here) to invoke the character viewer since these characters are easily entered via the usual key producing ' and "; the key immediately to the right of the : and ; key.
>
> However, if one highlights these characters --- when chosen in the "Character Viewer" --- and holds down the mouse for a couple of seconds, the following information appears:
>
> Character					Information about character
> straight single quote ' 		Unicode 0060   UTF8  60
> straight double quote "		Unicode 00A8  UTF8   C2A8
>
> In my now standard preamble, there are the lines:
>
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> Because of the line 	\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} I have assumed that there should be some way to create both characters on a preview page. However, I've never succeeded in doing that. Surely there is a way. Always, I end up with the curly versions. These characters are useful in certain combinations: feet and inches, minutes and seconds, ... Any suggestions?
>

> Don Green Dragon
> fergdc at Shaw.ca

Howdy,

It's certainly not TeXShop! I'd assume that the inputenc package set for utf8 is translating the ' and " into ’ and ” which is standard behavior for LaTeX (and Plain TeX too I believe). Ordinarily you would use ' and " only in typewriter or verbatim and \texttt{'} and \texttt{"} and \verb|'| and \verb|"| seem to work fine.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)