[OS X TeX] \include does not work within \begin{thebibliography}

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Fri Jan 4 04:57:56 CET 2013

Hi All,

May I  wish everyone a prosperous and healthy experience in 2013 and many thanks for the very useful messages that appear on this mailing list.

As my bibliography  keeps lengthening, I thought it would be possible to 'include' it using the lines
+++++
\backmatter

\begin{thebibliography}{99}
\include{MathBiblio}
\end{thebibliography}
+++++
where the file MathBiblio.tex would hang from the directory that my master/root file hangs. In other words, if the master/root file is

~/Documents/NewDoc/NewDocRoot.tex

then the biblio file is:

~/Documents/NewDoc/MathBiblio.tex

The file MathBiblio.tex contains my usual \bibitem guys and its first line reads

% !TEX root=NewDocRoot.tex

Also, MathBiblio.tex does not contain the line

	\begin{thebibliography}{99}		nor 		\end{thebibliography}

but it does close with the line	\endinput. In other words, it consists of just \bibitems and comment lines.

But the code listed above -- marked with +++++ -- does not work. It produces a page which is entitled 'Bibliography', in a large font size (as expected), but no bibliographic entries appear; i.e., I get a blank bibliography.

I've read Geroge Gaetzer's chapter on using BibTeX but I don't want to go that route since the examples of 'styles' that he presents are precisely those I wish to avoid. Despite the advice from the BibTeX document -- obtained from  the Terminal with 'texdoc bibtex' -- I prefer to use the Chicago Manual of Style where something like

	[author, year]

appears when the relevant \cite{...} command is used.

So, can I conclude that to use my preferred style, it will be necessary to simply enter the relevant \bibitems as I have been doing in the past? Maybe there is a trick or package out there!

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca