[OS X TeX] MinionPro on MacTeX 2012

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Feb 15 16:25:30 CET 2013

On Feb 15, 2013, at 9:06 AM, Theo Moore <tsgmoore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2013, at 4:32 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:
>

>> Am 13.02.2013 um 16:01 schrieb Theo Moore:
>>
>>> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+545/600 --dpi
>>> 545 MinionPro-It-Base-ad
>>> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for MinionPro-It-Base-ad.
>>> mktexpk: perhaps MinionPro-It-Base-ad is missing from the map file.
>>
>> As mktexpk reports: the MinionPro.map file was not enabled. The TFM file was found; it belongs to TeX Live. But then no MAP file tells TeX that the font name MinionPro-It-Base-ad is related to a scalable font and therefore no bitmap font files with different resolutions need to be generated. This "translation" from the TeX font name to the corresponding vector font file and its encoding is done via the MAP file. And therefore it's quite certain that the MinionPro.map file (fragment) has not yet been enabled.
>>
>> What you can do is:
>>
>>      kpsewhich MinionPro.map
>>
>> I get
>>
>>      /usr/local/texlive/2012/../texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/MinionPro/MinionPro.map
>>
>> which tells me two things (even three, actually): the file is installed outside the official distribution and it is available in TL 2012. And the third fact is that the file is in the ls-R "hash" files.
>>
>> So, maybe you forgot to run
>>
>>      sudo mktexlsr
>>
>> It that's true and as a consequence kpsewhich can't find MinionPro.map, then first
>>
>>      sudo updmap-sys --disable MinionPro.map
>>
>> to clean the MAP file, then run
>>
>>      sudo mktexlsr
>>
>> and finally enable the MAP file fragment:
>>
>>      sudo updmap-sys --enable MixedMap MinionPro.map
>>
>> If TeX then still fails to find the proper font files, then it's likely that you installed some of the package's files incorrectly. Particularly the installation root /Library/TeX/Root/texmf is wrong. Packages from outside TeX Live belong into the /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local branch. Although it's confusing that the Minion Pro TFM support files /are/ part of TL 2012.
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>> Pete
>>

> Dear Pete and Hebert,
>
> I am sorry but you're going to have to go slow with me. Upon typing
>
> kpsewhich MinionPro.map
>
> I get
>
> /Users/MYHOME/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/MinionPro/MinionPro.map
>
> I did (probably stupidly) repeat the two lines you suggested
> sudo mktexlsr
> sudo updmap-sys --enable MixedMap MinionPro.map
>
> but they had little effect. I guess it may have to do with my
> directory structure. In any case, my head is spinning from the
> multitude of directory possibilities (should things be in
> /Library/texmf or /usr/local/texlive/2012/.../texmf-local etc.?)
>
> It would help if you could clarify what's going on.
>
> Thanks you!

Howdy,

Since you have placed the files in your personal texmf tree you must run

updmap --enable MixedMap MinionPro.map

(NOTE: do NOT use sudo for items in your personal tree) since the system-wide map produced updmap-sys will not contain any information contained in any personal tree. This actually makes sense because another user (remember that OS X is really a multi-user system) won't have any of that information in their personal tree.

You should also check the `Automatically enable fonts in my home directory' preference option in TeX Live Utility. That way when you update TeX Live using TeX Live Utility it will automatically update your personal version of the map file too.

Finally, download TeXLive2012Changes.pdf.zip from <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10932738/index.html>. It contains information about another way to keep your system properly updated using a updmap.cfg file.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)