[OS X TeX] Footnote glued to the text

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 04:44:40 CET 2013

On Feb 4, 2013, at 10:02 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Alain,
>
> On 05/02/2013, at 1:57 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> The following just happened and will disappear as I keep changing
>> the text but I wonder how Knuth could possibly have allowed this to
>> happen:
>>
>> <Footnote.pdf>
>
> Doubtless there are messages in the Log/Console about an Overfull
> \vbox .

There are ALWAYS message about boxes that are either overfed or under-
nourished or something.

>> Amused regards
>
> Oh sorry, I forgot --- you never look at that, do you?
>  ;-)

Never say never. If only because it's you, I just looked. (But this
reminded me why I "never look at that": to see all that stuff that
doesn't tell me anything depresses me.)

It seemed that there was all sort of stuff about previous typesets and
so I made the obvious mistake: I thought I would trash all the aux
files and re-typeset but now it's OK!

So I got the log and the console out of the trash but somehow, they
don't quite look the same. In any case there is an overfull message in
the console a few lines before the text of the footnote:

Overfull \hbox (27.50897pt too wide) detected at line 432
  [] [] []

Sounds like "all quiet on the western front" to me.

Then I looked at the log. Same stuff as in the console about line 432.

So we will never know where that last bug in TeX is. But considering
the amount of stuff I seem to be doing wrong, it looks like a pure
miracle that it should typeset. So, I have decided never to badmouth
Knuth ever again.

Contrite regards
--schremmer