[OS X TeX] Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Dec 7 14:36:06 CET 2013

On Dec 6, 2013, at 7:53 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at shaw.ca> wrote:

> First, I hauled out «TeX Live Utility.app» and quickly it filled its window with all manner of data about ‘Updates’.
> Then the ‘Packages’ button was clicked. Another torrent of data, so I looked for stuff about TikZ and found 13 entries, some of which were ‘Installed’ and others were 'Not installed’, six of the latter. Then I realized that the references seemed to be with respect to . . ./texlive/2012/. . . and there was a complaint about the 2013 version NOT being installed. I thought that would have been done when I set up MacTeX2013, but maybe not. Something asked if I wanted to upgrade to TeX Live 2013 and I replied YES.

Howdy,

You can no longer update TeX Live 2012 using TeX Live Utility (or tlmgr). So, if there were updates they went to TeX Live 2013.

> Anyway, I asked «TeX Live Utility.app» to install those six TikZ packages and I got some «Install Succeeded» messages, so that sounds good. In fact, those TikZ packages are now labelled ‘Installed’.  :—)
>
> As to «TeX Live Utility.app» the information panel says
>
> Modified: Tuesday, 29 October 2013 at 8:01 PM
>
> which is fairly recent, but not today. The version number is 1.17.

That's the most recent version.

That document is also for TeX Live 2013.

> However, I found a CTAN panel that offered upgrades to  TeX Live 2013 and so I downloaded some stuff from CTAN, namely «install-tl-unx.tar.gz» which on unpacking created a directory «install-fl-20131206» within which there is the Unix Executable File «install-tl» which went to work and produced:
> —————————
> 		<<a few lines omitted>>
> <O> options:
>   [X] use letter size instead of A4 by default
>   [X] allow execution of restricted list of programs via \write18
>   [X] create all format files
>   [X] install macro/font doc tree
>   [X] install macro/font source tree
>
> <V> set up for portable installation
>
> Actions:
> <I> start installation to hard disk
> <H> help
> <Q> quit
>
> Enter command: I
> Installing to: /usr/local/texlive/2013
> /Users/doncarvel/Downloads/install-tl-20131206/install-tl: mkdir(/usr/local/texlive/2013/) failed, goodbye: Permission denied
> logout
>
> [Process completed]

Oh no! Please don't automatically install stuff!!!! You have now installed a TeX Live 2013 but not all the auxiliary stuff that MacTeX installs so that you don't have to set up PATH variables, etc.

> —————————————
>
> Looks to me like I screwed up somewhere. The only entries that I made were:
>
> (1) I responded to "Import settings form previous Tex Live installations:» with `y’
>
> (2) After the prompt «Enter command:» I entered `I’ meaning go ahead and install.
>
> As you can see above, the message "failed, goodbye: Permission denied, logout» appeared.
>
> At this point, I’m so freaked out that I did a Restart. After the restart, I still cannot find any evidence that TeX Live 2103 is installed here. Went through the same process as noted above, but with respect to the prompt (1) answered `n’. That made no difference, same error message.

``Freaking'' usually leads to disaster since things are left in a completely unknown state.

> Anyway, in /usr/local/texlive/ I DO NOT have a 2013 folder, but I do have ones for 2011 and 2012.
>
> My main concern is: Is TeXShop, LaTeX, and TeX still working? After a quick look at a 345 page doc, the answer appears to be Yes! :—)

Yes... but which ones?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)