[OS X TeX] MacOSX-TeX mailing list probe message

Gary L. Gray gray at psu.edu
Fri Apr 19 07:40:50 CEST 2013

On Apr 19, 2013, at 1:18 AM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2013, at 12:54 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

>>> You mean it is a Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 Silver door?
>>
>> Not quite. It's a Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio) with dual 533MHz PPC G4 and 768 MB RAM. It’s the last model with the "Graphite" tinted case. It has two 80GB HDDs running in a RAID 1 configuration.
>>
>> Pretty impressive, eh? :-)
>
> Pretty impressive.
>
> According to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Macintosh_models>, the silver door came immediately after the graphite with the boundary somewhere around 2001.

According to MacTracker, it was sold from Jan to July 2001.

> What's going to happen to it? (To tell the truth, I am looking for a "new" RAID machine for our music library as our old IBM Linux conked out ... without warning.)

Since it is a university-owned machine, it isn’t easy to sell or give away to someone outside of the university. Regardless, it will probably join my still working Power Macintosh 8100 (purchased in April 1994) in my very small Mac Museum. I am still kicking myself for not keeping the Mac IIci that ran my department’s first web server starting in 1995.

Gary