[OS X TeX] Re: Redefining a math symbol

J. McKenzie Alexander jalex at lse.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 22:33:00 CEST 2013

I'm afraid that's not quite what I was looking for. If I wanted to type a macro, I would have done

\def\given{\mathbin{|}}

and written $\Pr(A \given B)$.

But I was interested in learning whether there was a LaTeX command like \DeclareMathOperator, except for binary relations (and which wasn't restricted to only being used in the preamble). Or maybe a pointer to some source about how LaTeX is told to interpret symbols in math mode… I guess I need to return to the TeXbook.

Thanks anyway,

Jason

On 18 Apr 2013, at 12:46, Peter Vamos <P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:

> presumably there's a way to change the definition of the '|' symbol in math mode so that TeX treats it as a binary operator by default

There is:  \mid

Peter