[OS X TeX] How specify .ist for index?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 20 17:17:31 CEST 2012

On Sep 20, 2012, at 10:07 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2012, at 10:48:48 +0200, Claus Gerhardt <claus.gerhardt at uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>
>> You have to use a shell script specifying that .ist file, see the [linked attachment]  where I use a german.ist file. The .ist file should be saved in texmf/makeindex where texmf is your personal texmf folder.
>>
>> The shell script can be called by an Applescript.
>>
>> Claus….

>> On Sep 19, 2012, at 3:11, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How does one go about specifying a .ist file to be used when makeindex is run automatically from within TeXShop?
>>>
>>> (In my .ist file I use the usual settings so that each letter of the alphabet is typeset large and bold just before all the index entries that start with that letter.)
>
> Is there some way to integrate this into TeXShop? So that either using the MakeIndex choice for Typeset -- or even, preferably, being able to do it all with the the pdflatexmk choice -- can be directed to use a particular .ist?
>
> After having such a lovely front end to TeX as TeXShop, it seems a great shame to have to go to a command line to call a script.

Howdy,

If you want to integrate it into the pdflatexmk engine (actually this will do it for all of the latexmk based engines --- if that's no good let me know) just add the line

$makeindex = "makeindex  -s my.ist %O -o %D %S";

(on a separate line) where my.ist is the index style file you want to use to ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/latexmkrcedit. Note: from then on the my.ist file will always be used. Note that the my.ist file needs to be where TeX can find it; e.g., ~/Library/texmf/makeindex for personal .ist files---create that folder if necessary.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)