[OS X TeX] .ps graphics, pdflatex, and priority

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sun Sep 16 22:56:00 CEST 2012

Hi Charles,

On 17/09/2012, at 5:17, Charles Shooshan <chasshoo at snet.net> wrote:

> Good day!

> 3. I noticed that some online examples would suggest that I break my two-line file into four lines (for readability?) like this:
>
> \epstopdfDeclareGraphicsRule{.ps}{pdf}{.pdf}{%
>  repstopdf #1 --outfile=\OutputFile
> }
> \AppendGraphicsExtensions{.ps}
>
> Should I do this as a matter of style?

While not necessary to have it work, I would say that this kind of separation certainly makes your coding more readable, and better structured.
The line starting  repstopdf  becomes a command for a different processor — the unix shell — so it makes good sense to separate it visually from the surrounding LaTeX syntax.

IMHO it is a good idea, generally, to keep totally different concepts well separated visually within your source coding.

> Thank you,
> Charlie

Hope this helps,

    Ross