[OS X TeX] Find & Replace in TS

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Sep 7 23:18:23 CEST 2012

On Sep 7, 2012, at 2:35 PM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at me.com> wrote:

> I think this request has been made by others before but I would like to repeat it: When I search using the OgreKit the Replace tab contains the string used in the most recent Replace action. That's a disaster waiting to happen, and today it happened to me. I was searching for all \tilde and accidentally all the \tilde were replaced by \chapter, which was the leftover string in Replace. You can imagine the console when you try to typeset an equation that contains \chapter, and it is not pretty. To make things worse, the error message I was getting was about missing braces, which kept me very confused until I spotted the misplaced \chapter. My disaster was easy to fix once I knew what the problem was.  Other programs keep the replace/replace all tab hidden until you specifically ask for a replacement, and then, this tab is empty. Of course, other programs don't give you the versatility of the OgreKit, and most of them cannot beat the price of TS ($0.00), but I wish this could be fixed in a future release. And I would be happy (and I mean happy, not just willing) to pay a dollar price for TS, which is probably the most heavily used app on my computer.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

You clearly did a Replace All instead of a Find All. If it was blank it would have replaced each of those occurrences by nothing! Also, if you have something in the replace the Replace/Replace All buttons should be active. Finally, the contents of the Replace field should NOT be emptied after use just as the contents of the Find field should not be replaced so that you can do individual Finds and Replace then Find operations. By the way, I usually do a Find, to check that the Find is doing the right thing and then do a Replace to make sure that is going correctly.

To empty the Replace field when you do a Find just Tab to it and its' contents will be highlighted and press the Delete key. But, as I said, that is even more dangerous.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)