[OS X TeX] eps to pdf conversion

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 11 15:18:41 CEST 2012

On Oct 11, 2012, at 7:31 AM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at me.com> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2012, at 7:44 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Let me expand on my comment about personal vs system-wide file change. I was being very imprecise. Which one to change really depends upon what you are changing.
>>
>> The problem with adding the --shell-escape flag back to TeXShop as noted in Appendix A in the document noted above is that it is now set for ALL documents typeset using pdf(la)tex or the latexmk based engines in TeXShop.
>>
>> Similarly, re-setting that variable in texmf.cnf is a system-wide change that is applied to all documents.
>>
>> I can supply you with a latexmk based engine which uses pdflatex to process your file and includes the shell-escape flag for that engine alone. That way you can use that engine only for the files that need that flag set. If you are interested please let me know. It would involve two small files.
>
> I haven't worked with latexmk, I am not sure what I would have to do.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

See the last section of Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks document in TeXShop for information on pdflatexmk, an engine that runs pdflatex using the latexmk program. Some folks aren't comfortable with the automation it provides but I certainly like not having to run pdflatex, bibtex, makeindex, pdflatex (multiple times) separately. The pdflatexmk engine is active for new installations of TeXShop but you must install it (very easy --- instructions in the document mentioned above) if you ever used an older version of TeXShop.

I would create an engine, sepdflatexmk, that is essentially identical to the pdflatexmk engine but includes the --shell-escape flag. That way you can use pdflatex with the --shell-escape flag set when you need it and other engines if you don't need it. I.e., only use the flag with ``trusted'' documents.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)