[OS X TeX] TS with Retina and 2nd monitor

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 20 05:22:16 CET 2012

I have two problems with the Thunderbolt display: it is highly reflective and the height can not be adjusted. This display (and iMacs as well) is clearly designed for tall people. If you are five foot six inches tall like myself, these displays sit so high off of the desktop that the top of the screens are well over eye level, which is very bad for the health of your neck. The unadjustable height is one of the worst examples of Apple's "form over function" design philosophy.

I've been looking at a new 23" NEC professional grade LED monitor: MultiSync P232W. This just appeared on the market and the street price seems to be around $580. Unfortunately, it is not a high resolution monitor, but it is LED illuminated, IPS, height adjustable, and should be great for working with photos in Aperture in addition to TeX.

When working with TeX I prefer to display the PDF output in a full page format, but it is a little bit of an eye strain with my 15" Macbook Pro. It's unclear to me if the problem is the tiny size of the characters on the screen or the resolution of the screen and if the new 15" retina models would actually alleviate that problem.

By the way, there have been complaints of serious ghosting problems in the screens of some of the new 15" Retina MacBook Pros. I believe that Apple has two suppliers for the panels and the problem appears with panels from only one of the suppliers, but you can't tell which you'll get when you you order.

Richard Séguin