[OS X TeX] command-click on the name of a console file

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 15 14:04:00 CET 2012

On Nov 15, 2012, at 4:35 AM, Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at me.com> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2012, at 4:06 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> The Console window is like a Terminal window and you can see the input and output of the various things that go one when you compile a file.
>
> ...but with a difference: for each latex source, TS generates a new console (unlike terminal, which gives a continuous history of previous actions). Moreover, each new console window hides *behind* the previous one (at least when you've checked "show console only when error occurs". This has confused several times: I usually watch the scrolling of output in console window on the background as an indication of whether typesetting is over, but when the active console is hidden behind an inactive console window, it looks as if nothing is happening. Since some errors do not cause the console to come forward, this can lead to frustration when such errors occur. I would suggest then that TS  show the active console always as the top console window. Is there really a need for multiple console windows?
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Yes, each root file you compile opens it's own Console window so you can have multiple Console windows open at once. You can do the same thing in Terminal if you wish; open multiple Terminal windows using Cmd-N.

I never use ``show console only when error occurs'' and if you have that set you clearly don't want to see progress via the Console activity; the two things just don't make sense together.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)