[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.46

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue May 29 16:30:52 CEST 2012

On May 29, 2012, at 9:12 AM, Juan Luis Varona wrote:

> Dear Dick,
>
> I do not know the reason, but I have lost the icon of .tex, .aux, ...
> documents with TeXShop 2.46 (my previous version was 2.43)
>
> Most people see the same behavior?
>
> Yours,
>
> Juan Luis

Howdy,

The Launch Services Database sometimes gets messed up. The simplest thing to do is get Onyx (the proper version for your OS) at <http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php?sid=fbe9d18d54740524db101210b2bce690> and use that (Under the Maintenance tab) to rebuild the Launch Services DB. Alternatively, or if that doesn't do the job, do Safe Boot (Hold the Shift Key down until the login screen shows up), wait a while while things get re-built, login and wait some more and then do a simple reboot. On Safe Boot the OS cleans and rebuilds multiple databases including the Launch Services DB.

I don't know why but I've been plagued by this problem with each recent update.

PS: Did you update via Sparkle? Just wondering since I rarely update that way because I sometimes do some pre-release testing so Sparkle won't work.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)