[OS X TeX] bibliography and citation doesn't appear

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Mar 29 15:45:17 CEST 2012

On Mar 29, 2012, at 8:36 AM, konstantinos vasilakos wrote:

> Hello dear all, I am new to Tex and thus is my first post, I have this problem which could't find any solution by reading the helfiles concerning it, when I do \cite{..} no list of citation key seem to appear even if I save the .bib file on the same folder with the source tex file, same applies when I try \bibliographystyle{plain} \bibliography{references}, as a response I get the "warning references don't found" and in the preview file no bibliography appears.
> Thanks and sorry if this question is so trivial.
> Best
> \K.

Howdy,

You've got to run bibtex after running pdflatex and then run pdflatex a couple more times so that all the cross references are correct. So the sequence is

pdflatex myfile
bibtex myfile
pdflatex myfile
pdflatex myfile

where your source file is myfile.tex.

If you have been doing that please let us know since there must be another problem.

Also, if you are using TeXShop there is a way to automate the complete process. (Other Editors/Front Ends may be able to do it too but I'm not familiar with them.)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)