[OS X TeX] Re:

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Mar 25 01:37:50 CET 2012

On Mar 24, 2012, at 5:42 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:07:51 -0500 Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] how use DropLaTeXDiff, DropTexCount?
>
> > On Mar 24, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> >> The Subject rather says it all: how does one use these apps after
> >> downloading them?
> >>
> >> E.g., I double-click DropTeXCount.app but nothing happens. I look in >> TeXShop for some way to call it, but don't find any....
> >
> > Those are Drop Scripts.
> >
> > For DropTeXCount.app: simply drop a .tex file onto the app and an
> > htlm file will be created with the texcount information and also open > in your default browser. The DropTeXCountFull.app works the same way > except that the html file contains more information.
>
> > For DropLaTeXDiff.app: Drop the two .tex files you want to compare
> > onto the app. A latexdiff.log file along with a new .tex file that
> > can be typeset and will show the difference between the two files.
> > The log file will state which of the two files is older and note that
> > latexdiff finished processing. Once that last statement is in the log > file you can typeset the new .tex file to see the differences marked.
>
> OK, I understand. Unfortunately, dropping like that almost demands that one view the apps in Icons view (and I almost always use Finder in List view), else the dropping action has to be done very carefully in order to prevent just copying the file into the app's directory.

Howdy,

I guess that's true. But then that's what I usually use since I go back with the Mac to System 7. :-)

> And this also means that one must use Finder (or Spotlight) to get to the source file(s) folder(s).

Don't you have to do that anyway?

> Is there some way to do a comparable thing by calling a command from within TeXShop?

TeXShop has Edit->Statistics… but that doesn't do as good a job as texcount. On the other hand, texcount and latexdiff are part of TeX Live that you can run through the terminal. You can get full documentation by running

texdoc texcount

and

texdoc latexdiff

in Terminal. And someone may have written some TeXShop macros (in Applescript) that will run those commands. I seem to remember that there is at least a texcount macro out there.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)