[OS X TeX] path names with umlauts

Axel Kielhorn tex at axelkielhorn.de
Tue Mar 20 20:26:00 CET 2012

Am 20.03.2012 um 19:44 schrieb Ross Moore:

>> Hmm. I'll give Apple's way of localization a try:
>>
>> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPInternational/Articles/LocalizingPathnames.html
>>
>> What do you think about this approach?

Something about barking and trees comes to mind:-)

> This seems to be saying that the directory names should be standard, as in ASCII,
> but that you can specify alternatives for some software to display; e.g. Finder.
>
> It is a 2-step process to get the names.
>
> First you have a file called  .localized  which has lines specifying files which will contain the strings that you want displayed, according to your localization.
> e.g.
>      en.strings
>      de.strings
>  etc.
>
> Now your German Finder should display the umlauts, but an English one would not.
> However, your LaTeX document will need to use the non-localized ASCII names, as it does not use Finder when searching for files.

These are regular file names, not localized file names, we are talking about.
(To verify this, open the terminal and do a "ls /". This will show you the actual file name. The finder will show a localized name. (Example /Applications shows up as "Programme".))

When I enter a filename it is saved as a UTF-8 string. This will look the same on a german, an english or a japanese system. I can use japanese characters on a german system without problems.

> Warning: I've not actually tried this. I'm just interpreting what was written on that Apple page.
>                 Hopefully What I say above is correct.
>
> Also, since you have already got directories name with umlauts, I'd expect that there is already a file named  .localized  in the parent directory, and Finder is consulting this.

A regular user should never have or create localized filenames.
As pointed out in a different post, the problem was the comma, not the Umlaut.

Axel