[OS X TeX] available fonts & how to invoke?

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 15 22:31:56 CET 2012

On Mar 15, 2012, at 12:30 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> Can somebody give me a pointer to a _contemporary_, more-or-less comprehensive listing of what text + math font sets are available and what the corresponding command is to invoke each set (for the entire document).
>
> As to invoking the fonts, I mean things like:
>
> \usepackage{lmodern}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> What I find on-line is horribly fragmented, often focuses upon the fonts themselves or how to install them, is somewhat out-of-date, and omits the user-oriented simple question as to how to invoke the fonts.
>
> A more specific question: does the invocation shown above for lmodern automatically use the (still beta, I believe) Latin Modern _Math_ fonts? If not, what additional command is needed?

There used to be a discussion of font packages available in TeX Live on the Mac-TeX wiki, but it seems to not be available currently.

Here are a couple of options not spelled out fully on most sites. I assume you are looking for packages that work in tex/latex/ pdftex rather than Xe[La]TeX/Lua[La]TeX. Both are Libertine Legacy based: (this is a substitute for Times Roman that is not as heavy or cramped.) You can use it with math from the txfonts collection or from Mathtime Pro 2 [Lite]. (The Lite version is free from pctex.com.) The txfonts are overly tight for my taste and the metrics need some work. The mtpro2 are rather spread out but more professional in appearance.

% Libertine+txfonts
\usepackage{amsthm}
\usepackage{txfonts}
  \let\iint\relax
  \let\iiint\relax
  \let\iiiint\relax
  \let\idotsint\relax
\usepackage[leqno]{amsmath}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{beramono}
\usepackage{libertine}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage[bb=boondox,cal=boondoxo]{mathalfa} % derived from STIX

% Libertine+mtpro2
\usepackage{libertine}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{beramono}
\usepackage[lite]{mtpro2}
\usepackage{amsthm}
\usepackage[leqno]{amsmath} %use eq no on left
\usepackage[bb=boondox,cal=boondoxo]{mathalfa} % derived from STIX

Michael