[OS X TeX] simpdftex can't find font, but pdflatex can

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Mar 2 02:26:50 CET 2012

On Mar 1, 2012, at 7:07 PM, Nathan Sanders wrote:

> But then why does the error message say it can't *find* the file, rather than it can't *read* it?

Howdy,

Well, I'm pretty sure that kpsewhich will not look in the truetype folders when searching for fonts for dvips so it can't `find' the font. Kpsewhich uses different paths to look for files depending upon the engine.

On the other hand, if pfb files actually exist you must find out if there is a supplied map file that uses those files. If it exists you should disable the map file you did enable and then enable the one that uses the pfb files. If, in fact, that package is assuming you are using pdftex and tells pdflatex to load that map file you should disable that map in any case.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)