[OS X TeX] texshop: save as

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jun 3 15:05:56 CEST 2012

On Jun 3, 2012, at 1:10 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2012, at 10:51 PM, Nicolae Garleanu wrote:
>
>> Whenever I want to save a copy of a .tex file under a different name, TexShop by default wants to (1) do it in the last folder I saved a file in, and (2) save the file as a plain text document, rather than the .tex extension I started out with. Are there settings that can be set to have as default (1) the folder of the file currently open, and (2) the old extension? I don't know whether the (cumbersome, in my view) need to first duplicate, then save plays a role with the first of these difficulties.
>>

> You may find the macro menu item "Save Source As" does what you want. It's available at
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3825336/TeX/index.html
>
> and meets conditions (1) and (2). You can easily modify the script (it's an AppleScript) to change the default displayed for the new name.
>
> Michael

Howdy,

I consider this behavior a bug too!

This is a very nice macro to have. I had two problems with it.

First: the path to TeXShop.app is hard coded in the file as /Applications/TeX/TeXShop.app and I keep my TeXShop is a subdirectory of that directory; so I ended up with an Applescript Error (FSPathMakeRef (/Applications/TeX/TeXShop.app) failed with error -43). Easy enough to fix.

Second: The new file was saved as something else than my default `UTF-8 Unicode' (Probably MacOSRoman) and TeXShop opened it as MacOSRoman. Anyway you can determine what encoding to use on the Save?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)