[OS X TeX] CocoAspell and Mountain Lion

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 12:06:41 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Frank STENGEL <fstengel at mac.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know this might not be the proper ML to ask about this, but since In do not know where else to ask, here it is...
>
> The title says it (almost) all: is cocoAspell Mountain Lion compatible? A quick trawl on the net yields no real answer and even tells me that it does not work on 10.7, which is weird: it is the current spelling engine on my machine which runs 10.7.4.

Unfortunately, I've had problems with cocoAspell since 10.7, and they
are still there on 10.8.  It seems to basically work, but lots of
words get marked as incorrect that shouldn't be - it even offers to
correct them to exactly what they are!  There are lots of error
messages spat out to the console, mostly relating to 32/64 bit
incompatibilities.

I've tried emailing the author, but he hasn't replied for years, and
it looks as if the software is unmaintained.  It really would be a
huge service if someone updated it (since I think it is open source),
and I suspect that for someone who knew what he/she was doing, the
fixes would be minor.

Best,

Nicholas