[OS X TeX] Fonts in TL2012

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jul 27 10:35:12 CEST 2012

Am 27.07.2012 um 01:27 schrieb Michael Welsh:

> I just figured it out -- it's because I don't have italic versions of comicsans and I was using a textit{} command.

Yeah, Comic Sans comes only in regular and bold variants… But you can artificially slant fonts, and since Comic Sans is sans-serif it should look quite OK. Here are lines taken from psfonts.map that show how to slant an upright font and how to un-slant an italic font that it looks quite upright:

	pplbo8r URWPalladioL-Bold " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <uplb8a.pfb
	pplbu8r URWPalladioL-BoldItal " -.1763 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <uplbi8a.pfb

(You can also see that the PS fonts are 8a encoded while the TeX fonts are 8r encoded, so that the PS font needs to be re-encoded.)

BTW, is dvips meanwhile able to handle TrueType fonts? Some years ago when I made experiments it was not. I found a description to convert TT to PostScript Type 42, TT with a PS wrapper around, but never implemented it because I hardly could imagine an use for DVI files and TT fonts. (And it was also possible to take the TT font and convert it into a set of average and expert encoded PostScript fonts.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

Perl—the only language that looks the same before and after RSA encryption.
				- Keith Bostic