[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2012 cannot find local fonts

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 21:54:09 CEST 2012

On 7/8/12 3:00 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> >  kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+294/600 --dpi
>> >  294 hlhr8r
>> >  gsftopk: fatal: map file `psfonts.map
>> >  ' not found.
>> >  mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlhr8r.
>> >  mktexpk: perhaps hlhr8r is missing from the map file.
>> >  kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
>> >  )
>> >  !pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file hlhr8r): Font hlhr8r at 294
>> >  not found
>> >
>> >I_do_  have the requisite updmap.cfg file in ~/Library/texmf/web2c, with entries such as:
>> >
>> >  Map lucida.map #localtexmf/dvips/lucida/lucida.map
>> >  Map mtpro2 #localtexmf/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
>> >
> DON'T put in those #... ``comments'' they don't work. The file should only contain
>
> Map lucida.map
> Map mtpro2.map
>
> (notice the .map for mtpro2.map).
>
>> >Per what I understand the instructions in "TeXLive2012Changes.pdf" (H. Schulz, 2012/06/11) to say, I did run
>> >
>> >  sudo updmap-sys
>> >
>> >and then, since I had not updated anything with the 2012 TeXLive Utility or set its preference to include "Automatically enable fonts in my home directory", I did also run:
>> >
>> >  updmap
>> >
>> >But that didn't seem to do anything because I get "Permission denied":
>> >
>> >   /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-darwin/updmap: mkdir(/Volumes
>> >   /MacHD/Users/murray/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-config/) failed,
>> >   goodbye: Permission denied
>> >
>> >So I next ran
>> >
>> >   sudo updmap
>> >
> I specifically say DON'T run
>
> sudo updmap
>
> since that produces files in your HOME directory that are owned by root!
>
>> >and that created new map files but said it couldn't find the requisite map files, including lucida.map (precisely what was needed for the test lucida document) and asked whether I had run mktexlsr.
>> >
>> >So I tried to run mktexlsr, but I got a series of "no write permission" errors. So of course I then ran
>> >
>> >  sudo mktexlsr
>> >
>> >which updated /usr/local/texlive/2011/../texmf-local/ls-R....
>> >when that tries
>> >
> Not needed for files in ~/Library/texmf.
>
>> >Still document would not compile. I tried again
>> >
>> >  sudo updmap
>> >
>> >but still no luck in compilation.
>> >
>> >What's wrong and how to fix?
>
> 1)Remove ~/Library/texlive/2012. You may need to use your admin password to do this since you used sudo before.
>
> 2)Where are your map files?
>
> 3)Fix up your updmap.cfg as stated above.
>
> 4)Simply run
>
> updmap
>
> in Terminal and note it's output.
>
> If the fonts were installed properly that should do the job.
>
> PS: If the Lucida fonts work but the MTPro2 fonts don't you may need to add the line
>
> #! Map belleek.map
>
> to your updmap.cfg file in ~/Library/texmf/web2c to disable the belleek.map file and then rerun

My fonts are in the appropriate locations of ~/Library/texmf. And
upmap.cfg is in ~/Library/web2c. I edited it to delete the superfluous
stuff, as you said to do. I deleted ~/Library/texlive/2012. I run
"updmap" and get output:

    updmap is using the following updmap.cfg files (in precedence order):
      /Volumes/MacHD/Users/murray/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
      /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
      /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg
    /usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/x86_64-darwin/updmap: mkdir(/Volumes/
      MacHD/Users/murray/Library/texlive/2012/) failed, goodbye:
      Permission denied

The following minimal .tex file processes OK:

    \documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{lucidabr}
    \begin{document}
    Here is some text. And here is some math:
    \[
       \phi(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{x} e^{-x^{2}/2}
    \]
    \end{document}

However, including trying to modify font characteristics -- using the
[12pt] option to the documentclass, or using \large, etc., causes
compilation to fail with the same sort of error as before:

    kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+70/600 --dpi
      670 hlcrv
    gsftopk: fatal: map file `psfonts.map
    ' not found.
    mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlcrv.
    mktexpk: perhaps hlcrv is missing from the map file.

Moreover, merely putting \emph or \textbf or \texsf around some text,
although it does allow compilation, causes no change in the output to
italic, bold, or serif, respectively!

Note: Same kind of compilation error still for MathTimePro 2. Surely I
should _not_ want to include a map file for belleek in my updmap.cfg: I
have the actual MathTime Pro 2 Type 1 fonts, and support files,
installed (in the appropriate ~/Library/texmf locations).

Is there anything I should do in order to undo having run "sudo updmap"
(contrary to what you had, indeed, explicitly said -- I did it because I
was getting the Permission denied when I ran just "updmap")?

Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                    phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912