[OS X TeX] Package xparse Error: Support package l3kernel too old..

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jul 8 00:04:32 CEST 2012

On Jul 7, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:

> On 07/07/2012 22:15, Yvon Thoraval wrote:
>> 2012/7/7 Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk>
>>

>>> Sometime the package managers seem to fail to pick things up correctly.
>>> Can you try
>>>
>>>  sudo tlmgr update --self --all --reinstall-forcibly-removed
>>>
>>> Despite the freeze, you should get 'l3kernel' installed and 'expl3'
>>> uninstalled.
>>> --
>>> Joseph Wright
>>>

>> I got :
>>
>> sudo tlmgr update --self --all --reinstall-forcibly-removed
>> Password:
>> tlmgr: The TeX Live versions supported by the repository
>>  (2010--2011)
>> do not include the version of the local installation
>>  (2012).
>>
>> Unfortunately I've installed TL2012-pretest in between.
>>
>> does it matter ?
>
> With TL2012 you should be OK: it will have the latest CTAN release of
> all of the LaTeX3 material.
> --
> Joseph Wright

Howdy,

Concerning TeX Live 2012:

First, there is nothing for tlmgr to (re)install because the pretest has been frozen in preparation of a possible release.

Second, even if there was something to install you would have to point TeX Live Utility (or tlmgr) to one of the pretest repositories rather than the normal repository.

Third, if you wanted to update 2011 you would go to the TeX Distribution Preference Pane in System Preferences and select TeX Live 2011; when you installed the MacTeX-2012 pretest the active distribution was automatically set to TeX Live 2012.

Concerning TeX Live 2011:

There was a short time this past year when the structure of the experimental LaTeX3 was changed (Joseph Wright is involved with that) and one structure was not completely replaced by the new structure. I believe that was sorted out but somehow you got stuck in the middle.

As Joseph Wright said, just use the TeX Live 2012 (pretest). Oh, you are obligated to note any incorrect behavior but I haven't seen any problems for the work I do.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)