[OS X TeX] Malayalam and other Indian languages on Mac

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Jul 7 23:15:09 CEST 2012

On 07/07/2012 02:55 PM, NMPOST7 wrote:

> In order to get my malayalam back, I am going to reinstall my ancient SuSe
> package (9.3), that worked without any problem. I shall think of deleting
> Ubuntu, which has given me only failures. The version comes with Texlive 2009.
> I followed the instructions on the net regarding updating. All said and done,
> the result has been a catastrophic failure (as far as Ubuntu is concerned)

As you are in a hurry, you should indeed go back to what you know works
fine for you (SuSe Linux, as you said).

Personally, I use Ubuntu, which for me works OK (but with TeXLive

http://www.tug.org/texlive/

not the Ubuntu ---Debian's, in fact--- TeX distribution, which I haven't
used; I also have TeXLive in my G5 Mac, but it's slower).

But after your urgent work is done, I would advise you to take a look at
Peter's and David's recommendations, namely, XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX. See,
for instance, the various documents in

http://www.tug.org/xetex/ , like `` fontspec (user interface for font
handling) '' and `` The XeTeX Companion ''. Also, the TUG Indian group
has excellent tutorials:

http://www.tug.org.in/

Best

Axel